Thursday, December 20, 2012

Sufi poem by Ibn Arabi


  1. O Marvel! a garden amidst the flames.
    My heart has become capable of every form:
    it is a pasture for gazelles and a convent for Christian monks,
    and a temple for idols and the pilgrim’s Kaa’ba,
    and the tables of the Torah and the book of the Quran.
    I follow the religion of Love: whatever way Love’s camels take,
    that is my religion and my faith.
  2. All that is left
    to us by tradition
    is mere words. It is up to us
    to find out what they mean.
  3. Were it not for
  4. the excess of your talking
  5. and the turmoil in your hearts,
    you would see what I see
    and hear what I hear! 
  6. When my Beloved appears,
  7.  With what eye do I see Him? 
  8. With His eye, not with mine, 
  9. For none sees Him except Himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment